It's around here Somewhere...

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Music Review: Vampire Weekend - "Contra"


When I took my biweekly venture to my local Newbury Comics a few days ago, I wasn't expecting my possibly Jewish (I'm so stingy with my cash, I seriously wouldn't be THAT surprised I had that much in common with Woody Allen) self to just drop cash on just anything. I had no CD or cult horror movie in mind to get; I was just browsing around to waste a Saturday. But when I found out that Vampire Weekend's long awaited disk "Contra" was the 'Wicked cheap deal of the week' at only $6.99, I really couldn't say no to that.

What I didn't realized until I got into my 2004 Honda Accord was that It also came with a special, 3 track disk of remixes, by Toy Selectah.

"Contra" expresses high and low of the Cape Cod-y band's style while staying true to their breakthrough, self-titled 2008 CD debut. The first released single, 'Cousins' is great fun with it's poppy overload of African-influenced guitar. The rest of the album seems to stray to less eventful, yet enjoyable soft melodies and tunes. The closing song 'I Think Ur a Contra' is a quiet hum of a beat and the best of the album.

Staying true (and even living up to) their epic debut is a tall order, but Contra seems to get the job done. B+

No comments:

Post a Comment