It's around here Somewhere...

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Band of the Moment: Harlem


I was in Newbury Comics last week for National Record Store day (more on that event later), and as I checked out, the music playing over the speakers caught my undivided attention. The last live band had just gotten offstage, and this coming over the stereo was much better. When I looked towards the register, the vinyl of Texan band Harlem's new album, "Hippies", was displayed above the laminated sign "Now playing". I instantaneously felt the feeling that everyone who loves music loves more than they love Daft Punk: "I think I have just found a new band".

When I got home, even before opening the cheap White Stripes album I had bought used, I went straight to youtube (thinking Harlem was too obscure to be on any downloading platform) to listen to the album.

The first song I listened to when I got to the website was "Someday Soon", a rattling, guitar-peppy filled, chant-like, ubercatchy song that I realized was the song that had caught my ear inside Newbury Comics. I immediately fell in love with their punky songs that sounded like they were recorded in their buddies basement. I was in complete indie rock heaven.

When I checked them out on Myspace, I found out that they were coming to Boston--in four days. Of course, they were going to be coming to Boston the night before I come back from spring break. I went to Boston on Friday morning, and on the train I noticed that they were featured in the concert calender of the Metro. My reaction was a fusion of giddiness and sad. It was only a ten dollar show--and I probably could have gone, but I figured that they were bound to come back someday soon. I honestly would not be too surprised if they end up playing Lollapalooza or Coachella next year. That, my friends, would be fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment